Are you a student interested in science and a student in the Dare County School System? Enter the 2017 Dare County Science fair! Compete in the 2nd Annual Dare County Science Fair, hosted by the Dare County Youth Council and UNC Coastal Studies Institute. The science fair will take place on January 10th, 2018 at 5:00 pm at UNC Coastal Studies Institute at 850 NC 345 Wanchese, NC 27981. This year’s winner will be eligible to compete at the regional fair, February 17th, 2018 at East Carolina University. Categories for projects include biological Science, chemistry, earth/environmental science, physics and mathematics, technology and engineering.
Compete for prizes and a spot in the NC Regional Fair on February 17th, 2018. Winners from each category in the Junior (Middle School) and Senior (High School) will have the chance to move on to regionals.
- Junior (6-8)
- Senior (9-12)
- Biological Science
- Earth/Environmental Science,
- Physics and Mathematics
Steps for Participating in the Dare County Science Fair
For questions contact Daresciencefair@gmail.com
- Read “Planning and Conducting the Investigation.” This will provide direction on how to begin and carry out your science fair project.
- Choose a topic. If you need assistance,“Topic Selection Wizard” is an online service to help generate science project topics. “Selecting a Science Project” is another helpful link with what to consider during your selection.
- Begin your Science Journal Your journal includes all research done on your topic. Dates for every entry are needed. This will be part of your presentation of research.
- Read about your Topic Gain background information about your topic. Keep track of your sources to add to your bibliography. Your bibliography will need at least five (5) major sources (books, journals, and websites).
- Develop Come up with a research question or engineering problem. Refer to “Selecting a Science Project” for additional information.
- Think Brainstorm about your experimental design and process. This is just the thinking step do not buy or construct anything yet!
- Refer to the ISEF rules. Your adult sponsor should also be aware of the rules. Many projects recommended in books and on the web do not meet ISEF standards and will not be accepted at this science fair.
- Write a research plan. The following should be included:
- Question or problem
- Goals/expected outcomes/hypotheses
- Methods or procedures
- Types of data, how it will be analyzed
- Bibliography, students are required to have five (5) major references for their bibliography
- Complete the Google Form located on coastalstudiesinstitute.org Congratulations! You are now registered to attend the 2nd Annual Dare County Science Fair
- Make sure all forms are completed and ready to be turned by the day of the fair Forms – (These should be signed and dated BEFORE you begin experimenting) January 10.
- Get your plan approved by your adult sponsor and your parents. Your approval and signed forms should be completed with signatures and dates before you begin experimenting
- Begin your Experiment – Remember to follow the ISEF rules. If you need help refer to the “ISEF rule wizard” and/or contact your science fair coordinator.
- Finish your Experiment and Publish The Science Fair begins on January 10, 2018, at UNC Coastal Studies Institute at 850 Highway 345, Wanchese, NC 27981 where projects will begin to be judged at 5:00 pm. Participants are encouraged to be there anytime after 3:00 pm to set up their projects.
- Doing a Science Fair Project: http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project
- “Learn How to Do a Science Fair Project”- video series http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project/154-learn-how-to-do-a-science-fair-projectnew-video-series-from-nasa-jpl
- What is the Scientific Method – http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project/81-what-is-the-scientific-method
- ISEF rules wizard – https://apps2.societyforscience.org/wizard/index.asp
- Registration Form: https://www.coastalstudiesinstitute.org/register-2017-dare-county-science-fair/
- Forms – http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/forms
- Other Online Resources- http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project/84-online-resources
- “Before you Start your Project” http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project/113-before-you-start-your-project
Register for the 2017 Dare County Science Fair using the form below.