Are you a student interested in STEM and a student in the Dare County School System? Enter the 2018 Dare County Science fair! Compete in the 3rd Annual Dare County Science Fair, hosted by the Dare County Youth Council and Coastal Studies Institute. The science fair will take place on December 13th, 2018 at 5:00 pm at Coastal Studies Institute at 850 NC 345 Wanchese, NC 27981. This year’s winner will be eligible to compete at the regional fair, date to be determined. Categories for projects include biological Science, chemistry, earth/environmental science, physics and mathematics, technology and engineering.
Compete for prizes and a spot in the NC Regional Fair. Winners from each category in the Elementary, Junior (Middle School) and Senior (High School) will have the chance to move on to regionals.
- Elementary (3-5)
- Junior (6-8)
- Senior (9-12)
- Biological Science
- Earth/Environmental Science,
- Physics and Mathematics
- Bring experiment to fair for presentation
- Journal that contains your work. It can be drawings or background information on your project.
- Research Paper – Abstract at a minimum
- Project display board. Should include your title/name/question/results(summary)/how you solved question/materials you used/answer/what you learned/graphics(pictures or charts).
- Abstract (250 words max summarizing the experiment)
- Statement of the Problem
- Experimental Methods
- Results (may include graphs and tables)
- Bibliography – five (5) major references
Steps for Participating in the Dare County Science Fair
For questions contact Daresciencefair@gmail.com
- Forming a Question “Planning and Conducting the Investigation.” If you need assistance in selecting a topic for your question visit“Topic Selection Wizard” is an online service to help generate science project topics. “Selecting a Science Project” is another helpful link with what to consider during your selection.
- Read about your Topic Gain background information about your topic. This will aid you during the judging portion of the Science Fair.
- Begin your Science Journal Your journal includes all research done on your topic. This will be part of your presentation of research. It will also help you answer questions judges may ask.
- Develop Decide how you plan to solve your problem using the knowledge you have acquired.
- Get your plan approved by your adult sponsor and your parents/guardians.
- Complete the Google Form located on at the bottom of this page.
- Start/Finish your Experiment The Science Fair begins on December 13, 2018 at 5:00 pm, at the Coastal Studies Institute at 850 Highway 345, Wanchese, NC 27981. Participants are encouraged to arrive early to set up their projects.
- Doing a Science Fair Project: http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project
- “Learn How to Do a Science Fair Project”- video series http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project/154-learn-how-to-do-a-science-fair-projectnew-video-series-from-nasa-jpl
- What is the Scientific Method – http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project/81-what-is-the-scientific-method
- Other Online Resources- http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project/84-online-resources
- “Before you Start your Project” http://www.ncsciencefair.org/index.php/students-a-parents/doing-a-science-fair-project/113-before-you-start-your-project
Register for the Third Annual Dare County Science Fair using the form below.