Annual Open House
Have you ever wondered what is inside the Coastal Studies Institute as you pass by the ECU Outer Banks Campus on your way to or from Wanchese, or wished you could visit it another time? Though we are open to the public year-round, a great time to visit is during our annual Open House.
During this yearly event, visitors have the opportunity to tour the campus, learn about current research and education programs, take part in family-friendly activities, and interact with faculty and staff from ECU, CSI and partners such as NC Sea Grant, NOAA’s Monitor National Marine Sanctuary and the Outer Banks Center for Dolphin Research.
Open House visitors will be able to chat with:
- Coastal geoscientists who are researching the processes that drive coastal change, their effect on our communities and ways we can become more resilient in the face of increasing hazards that threaten our coast.
- Ecologists who are studying our estuarine systems, their inputs and how we can ensure healthy coastal ecosystems for the future.
- Oceanographers and coastal engineers who are exploring ways to harness the power of the Gulf Stream, waves and other renewable ocean energy sources, using new technologies to broaden North Carolina’s energy portfolio.
- Social scientists who are working with coastal residents, visitors and relevant social statistics to better understand the impacts coastal change has on communities while working to develop new and prosperous economies for the future.
- Maritime archaeologists who are researching and discovering new shipwrecks using advanced technologies while celebrating the maritime heritage of eastern North Carolina.
- Faculty and staff who are engaging the local community and the next generation of scientists and decision-makers in education programming that fosters student interest in the fields of technology, engineering, art, math and science.
Annual Open House Photos
Click photo thumbnail to expand and view!